Join Our Group
The Northwestern Bilingualism and Psycholinguistics Research Group under the leadership of Professor Viorica Marian is accepting applications for a Post-Doctoral position focused on research in bilingualism and the impact of knowing multiple languages on linguistic, cognitive, neural, and developmental processes.
(1) a PhD in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Psychology, Linguistics, Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, or a related field;
(2) experience conducting research with linguistically diverse populations (e.g., bilinguals, multilinguals, second or third language learners, individuals with language disorders) in areas including, but not limited to, linguistic and cognitive processing, audio-visual interaction, neural function, language learning, language and memory, language and cognitive development;
(3) strong writing skills and experience publishing in peer-reviewed journals;
(4) solid quantitative skills (multivariate statistics);
(5) ability to think critically and broadly;
(6) ability to work well both independently and with others;
(7) excellent organizational and time management skills.
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with (one or more, specify which):
- computational modeling,
- MATLAB or/and R.
Northwestern University is located in Evanston, IL, within the Chicago metropolitan area, and offers world-class urban, suburban, and rural living possibilities within a close radius for individuals of diverse backgrounds and interests. Salary is competitive and consistent with NIH guidelines. For more information about our research group, please visit http://bilingualism.northwestern.edu/.
To apply, candidates should email a Curriculum Vitae, a one-page research statement, two sample publications, and the contact information of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will be asked to submit three letters of recommendation. Review of applications will start on August 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. The start date is negotiable between September 2019 and March 2020.
Prospective students interested in applying for a PhD degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders should consult the following links:
For inquiries specific to the Bilingualism and Psycholinguistics Research Group, email the director, Dr. Viorica Marian (v-marian at northwestern dot edu). Please include your CV, GRE scores, unofficial transcripts, and specific research interests.
Northwestern University undergraduate students can join our research group by engaging in research as part of an Independent Study registration, by conducting honors thesis projects, or for work-study hours. Students should plan to work a minimum of 10 hours per week. Tasks will include stimuli preparation, data collection, and data coding. Required skills include previous research or statistics-based coursework (e.g., research methods, statistics, or other comparable courses). Preferred skills include previous research experience, familiarity with SPSS and/or MATLAB, and knowledge of a second language. Interested students should email their resume/CV, unofficial transcripts, and test scores (e.g., SAT) to the lab manager at email@example.com, phone number 847-491-2656.
If you are interested in being part of ongoing studies see the participate page.